Thursday 20 November 2014

Friday 12 September: day six – Clun to Runcorn

86.8 miles. 7:41 hours of cycling.  

Barbara gave us some of her bread and tea for breakfast and we set off early. The countryside was not particularly pretty, but there were some very nice villages. I was feeling really tired and although my knees and shoulders were OK and the cramp was under control I was finding the hills harder and harder to get up. It was not until sometime afterwards that it occurred to me that I had no eaten a proper meal for 24 hours and so was bound to be short of energy. 

We stopped in Shrewsbury for lunch and a passer by saw Pete’s tabard, which a friend had made and had information about what charities he was riding for, and gave him £20. We headed on off towards Runcorn, and to our surprise went through a bit of Wales again. We gave a cheer when the milometer went past 400. 

The approach to Runcorn is horrible – all huge roads – and the cycle paths are a bit forbidding. I was ahead of Pete and aimed towards where I thought the hotel was but got to a massive dual carriageway roundabout which appeared to enclose the hotel. I headed back and eventually found my way into the middle of the road system and located the hotel. Pete called me several times saying he was lost – he was asking people  the way and they were directing him as though he were in a car, which did not help much. 

I got really despondent waiting for him and called Hilary in some distress. Looking back I can now see that it was a combination of tiredness, a very long day and not having eaten enough, but at the time felt like I could not go on. Hilary was wonderfully supportive and encouraging and I calmed down a bit and went and had a shower. 

Pete arrived about an hour after me and we ate fish and chips and drank keg beer in the hotel restaurant. This was probably the lowest popint of the entire journey.

The Campanile Hotel was a bit odd – very basic, only one step up from a back packing place – but it really did exactly what we wanted. Comfortable beds, food, beer, showers. What more do tired cyclists need?

No comments:

Post a Comment